NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday announced the extension of lockdown till May 3 but hinted at some relaxations post April 20 at places where COVID-19 cases remain under control and no spurt in the cases is reported. Meanwhile, the death toll due to the coronavirus rose to 353 with 29 fatalities reported since Monday, while the number of cases saw a record jump of 1,463 to go up to 10,815 cases on Tuesday, according to the Union health ministry.
Here are the top developments:
- During his address to the nation, PM Modi highlighted that India’s holistic and integrated approach towards handling the coronavirus crisis is the reason why the country is in a “well-managed” position with respect to the spread of the disease.
- A meeting of the Union Cabinet is scheduled to be held on Wednesday evening at the Prime Minister’s 7, Lok Kalyan Marg residence in the national capital.
- A total of 602 hospitals have been earmarked as dedicated COVID-19 facilities in coordination with states with a capacity of 1,06,719 isolation beds and 12,024 ICU beds reserved for such patients in the country, the Union health ministry said.
- Services of all passenger trains and flights will remain suspended till May 3 as the lockdown was extended by another 19 days.
- Union home minister Amit Shah assured everyone that there is enough stock of food, medicines and other essential commodities and no one should worry for the extended period of lockdown.
- The Centre has transferred cash in the accounts of poor across the country under various welfare schemes during the lockdown utilising 14 per cent of the rural development ministry’s total budget within first month of the fiscal to ease the troubles faced by them, Union minister Narendra Singh Tomar said.
- IndiGo said it will resume flight services from May 4 in a phased manner by initially flying planes on vital domestic routes and then ramping up gradually.
- The upcoming edition of the IPL is likely to be postponed indefinitely as PM Modi announced the extension of the nationwide lockdown. The sources within the BCCI confirmed the development hours after PM Modi’s announcement.
- Uttar Pradesh: Coronavirus fatalities in Uttar Pradesh rose to eight as three more people succumbed to the infection, a day when the state reported 99 fresh cases, taking the count to 657.
- Delhi: The national capital reported a sharp rise in number of COVID-19 cases in a day with 356, taking the tally to 1,510, while four people died of the disease within 24 hours.
- Rajasthan: With 72 more COVID-19 cases reported from Rajasthan, including 71 from Jaipur, the state tally of coronavirus has climbed to 969.
- Odisha: Four more persons tested positive for coronavirus in Odisha, taking the total number of cases in the state to 60.
- Chhattisgarh: Two more people, including a woman, tested positive for coronavirus in Korba district of Chhattisgarh, taking the number of such cases in the state to 33.
- Punjab: The state has so far reported 176 coronavirus cases, including 12 deaths.
- West Bengal: At least 10 more people tested positive for Covid-19 in West Bengal, taking the total number of active cases in the state to 120.
- Goa: With no fresh coronavirus positive case being detected in Goa in the last 11 days, the state could become a “green zone” by April 17 if no new patients are found. Out of the total seven COVID-19 cases detected in Goa earlier–all from North Goa district, five patients recovered from the viral infection while two are undergoing treatment.
- Assam: One more person tested positive for COVID-19 in Assam, taking the state’s tally to 31.
- Kerala: As many as 8 new people were reported to be infected with coronavirus, taking the total number of active cases to 173 in the state while 211 people have recovered, so far.
- Karnataka: In Karnataka, 11 people tested positive for COVID-19, taking the number to 247, including 59 cured and discharged and 6 deaths.
- Haryana: With two more positive cases of coronavirus reported, Haryana’s COVID-19 count has gone up to 184.
- Maharashtra: With 121 new cases of COVID-19 reported in Maharashtra, the total number of positive cases in the state now stands at 2,455.
- Uttarakhand: The total number of coronavirus cases in the state stand at 35.
- Andhra Pradesh: Two deaths related to COVID-19 and 34 more cases of coronavirus have been reported from Andhra Pradesh, taking the total number in the state to 473.
- Odisha: There are a total of 55 cases of coronavirus in Odisha. 18 people have recovered from the illness while the state has reported one death.
- Punjab: Two more coronavirus cases have been reported from Punjab, taking the number to 167 in the state.
- Tamil Nadu: After recording a spike in the past few days, Tamil Nadu reported a marginal dip in COVID-19 cases with only 31 testing positive for the coronavirus, taking the total number of cases in the state to 1,204.
- The novel coronavirus has killed more than 120,000 people worldwide, nearly 70 percent of them in Europe.
- The number of people who have died in Britain from the coronavirus has risen to 12,107.
- Spain’s number of total deaths due to the coronavirus crossed 18,000 with 547 new deaths on Tuesday, which is a slight increase in the number of daily deaths reported.
- The total tally of deaths in the US was 1,557 on Sunday, down from 1,877 on Saturday and more than 2,000 on Friday. The virus has infected nearly six lakh people across the country so far and killed at least 23,604 others as of Monday.
- Sweden reported that more than 1,000 people have died from the novel coronavirus, while the number of confirmed cases crossed 11,000.
- Pakistan has recorded more than 5,000 coronavirus cases to date and nearly 100 deaths.
- French President Emmanuel Macron has extended the coronavirus lockdown in the country for a further four weeks until May 11.
- Nepal has decided to extend its nation-wide lockdown imposed in view of surging coronavirus cases for 12 more days till April 27.
- Dubai police officials are using smart helmets fitted with an infra-red camera and other Artificial Intelligence technologies to detect high body temperature of public transport users amid the coronavirus outbreak. The UAE has reported 4,521 confirmed coronavirus cases.
- The International Monetary Fund announced immediate debt relief for 25 poor countries, including nearly all in Africa, but also Afghanistan, Yemen, Nepal and Haiti, to help them free up funds to fight the coronavirus pandemic.