Spend this time observing the aspects of your home that you want to change and researching ways to spruce them up. Bright colours, breezy interiors, and playful accents are all that it’s about. And summertime is the best time and excuse to upgrade your home and change it up.
A few tips and tricks to help you make your decisions!
1. Natural Appeal – A simple paint job is a cost-effective method to change up the look of your interiors. Neutral colours and warm tones are the epitome of summer, and you can mix it up with different patterns using paint stencils to add some pattern. Wallpapers are also making a comeback, so go for some natural prints like floral patterns and leafy structures. You can combine this with indoor flowers or plants to give an organic appeal that screams summer. Natural elements are the easiest way to give your home the perfect summer vibe.
2. Colour, Colour, and more Colour! – Summer is all about joy, and the easiest way to create a cheery atmosphere at home is by adding some bold hues. You can do this by adding pops of colour with colourful accents or go for floral arrangements in colourful vases. You can also look at giving your home a nautical vibe by adding some calm and cool blue tones in the form of collectables. Add some colour in a larger aspect by painting one single wall a bright colour like fuchsia pink or turquoise blue, and balance it out with neutral curtains or interiors like your couch and cushions. Yellow is another colour which represents summer due to its warm hue, so go for a yellow wall or yellow interiors mixed with indoor plants.
3. Go for some intriguing summerscents- Redecorating your home doesn’t necessarily have to be confined to just the visuals. Impart some tropical summery scents with the perfect scented candle, or you can even make your own! Summer is all about freshness and rejuvenation, so scents like lemon, cucumber, and oceany scents would create the perfect summer vibe and add to a calming atmosphere.
4. Let’s swap the seating? Yes, please! While spending time at home, some good company and laughs would make the perfect summer day. Make your home more inviting by creating an oh-so-appealing seating area that your guests would never want to leave. You can do this by incorporating colourful floor cushions, which add a homely albeit fun element to your space. Floor cushions would have to be paired with low seating tables, which would be the perfect space for a fun game night.
5. Create the Perfect Bar – During a heatwave, all we need is some cool cocktails or fresh lemonade to calm our body down and kick back after a tiresome day. When we think of summer, all that comes to mind is fruity cocktails and bite some titbits, which deserve a special station on their own. Create the perfect impromptu bar, stocked up with your favourite drinks and paired with fun elements such as colourful paper umbrellas and funky stirrers.
6. Make Way For Some Light – To add summer vibes, you don’t necessarily have to redecorate. Add some light to your home by leaving the windows open, pulling back the curtains, and simply getting rid of gloomy and dark furniture. Add some more mirrors for the light to reflect, and give a sense of openness. Light, see-through curtains are also enough to let the light in, and they also keep out the mosquitos, which is just an added bonus!
7. Add A Touch Of Art – Go for simple affordable colourful pieces throughout your home, which add a balance of texture and colour on its own. You can also frame your vacation or family pictures, which give a sense of peace every time you take a look at it. Another option is framing simple motivational quotes, which can easily lift your mood whenever you’re feeling down. Art pieces can balance the colour of a room when paired up with darker walls. Again, summer is all about colour!
Inputs by Krsnaa Mehta, Founder and Executive Director, India Circus.